Anxiety disorders affect almost in the United States every year, making them the most common mental health disorder. However, less than half of people who have anxiety ever seek out help.
We caught up with to find out what tools he recommends to kick start your recovery and manage your anxiety.
Anxiety Guy’s favorite anxiety tips
1. Become knowledgeable
Plain and simple, become an expert on your anxious condition without letting people tell you what's wrong and what direction you must take. Growing your knowledge builds back up your long-lost character, your confidence, and your memory.
2. Practice proper breathing patterns
Proper breathing is one of the simplest ways to drain away worry and relieve your mild to moderate anxiety. By simply changing your breathing patterns, you can rapidly induce a greater state of relaxation. If you can control the way you breathe, you have a powerful tool to reduce any built up bodily tension.
3. Accept setbacks
It’s important to remember that each one of us recovers from anxiety at our own speed. When you experience a setback — whether it’s recurring fearful thoughts, panic attacks, or anything else — the mentality you should have is that your anxiety is doing all it can to stand its ground.
4. Create a rational and positive outlook on life
This doesn’t mean that we take an overly optimistic outlook on everything because that would be foolhardy. It means that we maintain the opinion that we have a fairly good chance of succeeding in everything that we do. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) can help you succeed quickly in this area.
5. Have patience
This is the key ingredient that puts everything together. Impatience is the result of being dissatisfied or angry about slow progress. Being overwhelmed by this new direction that you’re taking can make you feel like you're losing the drive to keep on the path of change. Remember, progress equals happiness.
6. Put the right things in your body
- The herb is used in Ayurvedic medicine to help the body resist and control stress.
- is especially helpful in the evening or after dinner to help soothe the mind.
- Nature Made contain eight different B vitamins and help the body create fuel out of the food you use.
- is commonly used to help ease symptoms of anxiety or depression.
Healthline also chose these additional items as great tools for anxiety:
- to support the functioning of your glands.
- which is packed with vitamins A and D and can improve symptoms of anxiety.
Dennis Simsek, , is a renowned author and both CBT and NLP master practitioner with the top anxiety podcast on iTunes. Having worked with thousands of people worldwide to overcome their personal challenges, Dennis continues to spread inspiration and methods that help people living with anxiety.